Sunday, April 16, 2017

Temple Touring & Alter Reality

Chiang Mai Sunday and I don't have a clue that it's Easter in the states until my Facebook feed starts waking up. What I know today is that the Songkran water dousing ritual is over and I'm going to walk to the castle without hindrance.

The first thing I noticed were miniature temples, alters, out in front of businesses that had yet to open. Have these always been there? Had I missed them the last two times I'd walked this street? Or are they kept elsewhere when the business is open?


I decided I'd snap those that I encountered along the way.

I imagined that one day I might want to have such a structure with me when and if... (it will be "when") I settle in.

In addition to the "alter tour," I was looking for relatively close and good place for breakfast. Not the tea and butter-on-toast that I get here at TL. Something more paleo, eggs and meat; what's billed as the "American Breakfast."

Most of the cafes I noticed along the route to the city, (I have to remember the proper spelling of the street name) are extensions of guest houses, which makes a lot of sense. During my trek across the United States, I noticed that every hotel has a restaurant within, next to, or very near by. Most times a good hotel, say four stars or better, will offer some kind of breakfast included in the rent.

Anyway, I crossed into a place that looked interesting. I peeked at the menu before entering, found my American Breakfast was within budget and ventured on in.

The place was empty. No customers. One young guy behind the bar. An episode of Charlie's Angels was just ending with a splash; I believe a vehicle was descending in slow motion into a body of water, and Dude, I soon discovered, didn't speak much English.

Not mad at him. I'm in his country.

I've spent a lot of time pointing at menus since I've been in Asia. But as I think about it, I've been pointing at menus in the US as well as ordering by numbers, for a long time.

I don't think the kid's lack of English was his only challenge. It seemed as if he had been left alone anticipating that no one, or at least not many customers, would be in. It was Sunday around noon, Songkran was over, like New Year's Day... the proprietors might have taken a well-deserved respite.

We worked our way through the menu, which he seemed unfamiliar with. He may have even prepared the meal... the meat, across the board, was under-cooked. He didn't seem to know what tea was, or that it came with the set.

We both endured each other respectfully. Working through our respective challenges.

I thought about leaving, but I didn't know whether I'd be doing him a favor, or insulting him, the business, the family and the ancestors. In the end, he cut me a break on the bill. Much appreciated. Not sure I'll return to that spot... I can't recall the name. Only because there are many other place I want to try.

I went out with no plan today, but as it was Keanne's birthday I figured I'd go up near the Rendezvous guest house, just to see if I could find my way there with no trouble.

Nope!

I didn't get terribly lost. Just lost enough to stumble upon a farmer's market that sells bulk (bagged) nuts and packs of dried fruit; essentially the ingredients for train mix!!

While sitting on the "stoop" of the guest house, which I eventually found, scarfing up the wifi and composing a What's App message, I recognized Keane's voice. She and Tommy were walking by; perfect timing. So we went down to the temple/market place and hung out for a few.

The day was turning out to be dry, but the clouds were coming. It hadn't rained yet, but it was probably coming... eventually.

The streets, whose names I have yet to memorize, were being prepared for the Sunday night market. Vendors are set up two deep in some places and not only on either side of the street, but right down the center as well.

I don't know what the "usual fare" is, but you can probably guess what's available; arts, crafts, clothes, various souvenirs, jewelry (seems like there's lot's of silver for sale) and lots of food.

And speaking of food, on the way home, along that wide street that hosts a lot of activity, restaurants are literally set up on the sidewalks. Folding tables, plastic chairs, umbrellas and the carts... the grills... the stands where the food is cooked, prepared and served, are all set up right on the pavement. Motorists can even drive up and get a meal to "take away" if they want to; almost like a drive through or "eat in" as it were.

By the time I got back and logged on, I realized it was Easter in America. I realized how clueless I was, and happily so, of this Christian holiday. Yet, ironically, I was having a spiritual day simply by photographing spiritual symbols, (the alters), and spending time in the temples, even if I was just buying beads and drinking chien... (iced milk tea).. or is it tien??

Today... it was April 16th, marked the first month'aversary of arriving in Asia and the eve of the fifth month of Freedom Year. I can track my time here by American holidays, by comparison. Next one will be Memorial Day, in about six weeks. I have about twelve days left on my place here. Soon, I will start thinking about the next location.

More than likely I'll be alone there, but you never know. So far choices are, Phuket and Penang.

Note: I think you can click on the images to enlarge them. 

No comments: