Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Morning Ritual

I am doing what I said I wanted to do: What I told everyone I was going to do: What I've been talking about doing, for the past year.

The fifth month of Freedom Year began yesterday and despite, apparently, "living the dream" it still takes a while to crawl out of bed and start the day.

Why is this?

Because I don't have a plan; a goal that needs to be accomplished. I'm not here in Thailand for any particular reason aside from Keanne and Tommy being here, they invited me to visit and I had the resources; time and money, to get here and stay here. Merely being here is "mission accomplished."
 
Our lovely hosts provide a modest breakfast  us daily from 0630 to 1030. This is the only reason I am out of bed, and the room before noon. My morning tea is and has been my ritual for countless decades, (maybe 3, to be honest. Since the navy.) What I've also been doing on a daily basis, is writing. Usually just recapping the previous day's activities.

I write... I don't know why I right, exactly.
First and foremost, I like it. That's really the only reason I need.

Secondly, it helps, or, it will help me to remember parts of my life... details; in the future in case my memory starts slipping away. I doubt this will happen, but one never knows.

Third; writing helps me flush the emotions out of my psyche. The emotions I don't share with others; (not that there are very many "others" with whom I would even share).

Finally, writing allows and almost forces, or requires me to at least, be honest with myself. My dad always said, "You can't lie to yourself." A wise saying, but I disagree. I think there are many people who regularly lie to themselves. However, back to my Dad's wisdom... I would add, "...without consequences."

Yes, we can and do lie to ourselves, but there's a price to pay for such practices.

Thus, back to number four...(sii, in Thai), my writing promotes honesty. And, I am honesty wondering if there is a greater purpose for me being here than simply, being here.

If I were counseling someone who asked this very question, I would say to them, "Imagine, that the only reason you are here and doing what you're doing, is because it's what you want to do. Would that be okay?"

The answer is, "Absolutely!!"

If nothing else were to come out of this year other than being where I was, and doing what did, for no other reason than because it's what I wanted... it would be okay. It's Freedom Year, besides, these words, these images and many more have already been generated from this journey.

Peace.

No comments: