Friday, April 21, 2017

Eat Chiang Mai

Eat Chiang Mai (21 April 2017)

The easiest activity to participate in, in Chiang Mai is eating, which is a good thing. In case you haven't been here, there are restaurants, cafes, taverns and bars everywhere. Plus there are food centers, (food courts), carts, stands, sidewalk restaurants and people cooking right out on the street and the food is "affordable*." (Of course I'm writing from the perspective of someone using local cash converted from US currency. I don't know how easy 150 baht, the cost of a decent "American" breakfast, is to come by locally.) That being noted, I have seen edible items available from vendor carts along the mote for as little as 10 baht.

Last night, at the food court, (one of several places to eat) in the mall, I got a beef and rice set, (platter) for 80 baht. If you recall from a previous post, if I indeed got it posted, my standard meal value set was 150 baht. Add 30 more baht for a cup of ice and juice, and we're right on target.
If someone can afford to get here, they will be able to eat here. And although I'm always in danger of being contradicted when I make such statements, I think in most cases this will be true.

Workout Ethic

I've decided that every other day will be a work day. Stay in, or close to the spot, catch up on writing, critically editing my images, catching up on current free-media perspectives, editing video footage and exercise.

Let's look at the exercise element.

If there's one improvement I want to achieve during this year, it's shoulder/scapular flexibility and strength. I have a (self evaluated) pitiful range of motion in my shoulders which is probably keeping me from gaining greater strength in the upper-upper body, so work on this goal is a semi-daily, if not daily routine.

Second priority; the twist, oblique core strength and flexibility and fat reduction. But honestly, if I can get human flagpole type moves, I won't be concerned about a little flab.

My twisting range of motion is also self-characterized as pitifully, along with that of my neck. The side strength is much more of a challenge for me because I am so weak in this area, so this will take a much greater effort. Side planks and various twisting and balancing yoga moves will be the prescription, and now that I've written it down and shared it, I have made myself more accountable.

Number 3. Hip flexibility... again, pitiful. I've learned several hip opening routines and I need to make them a part of my lifestyle, just as I advise others to do with fitness.

Fortunately I can practice all of these beneficial exercises, and eventually routines, in a rather small space, or outside... or practically anywhere, and I can incorporate the so-called "animal" movements along with yoga, calisthenics, balance and "tactical training" that requires no equipment.

The heat wave continues today, the forecast set the hugh temp at 98.6°F, body temperature. It's an out day for me so I'd best pack up and get to the fitness area before it gets too hot.

I woke early today. It was funny. I consulted a device that was still on Singapore time and told me it was an hour later. The result, I'm up before 0700, with no problems. The only reason I don't get up before 0700, is because I don't have to. I need to convince myself that I have to. I'll get more done and I can chill inside while it's baking outside.

And, I think that's it.

No comments: