Thursday, April 20, 2017

Heat Wave

Heat Wave

My mobile device keeps me apprised of the weather conditions in my environment with the concern of a parent. "Stay dry, Noxsoma, rain is forecast for Chiang Mai," that sort of thing. I'm sure you can relate.

For the last few days it's been in the 90s; near 100°F (97°) yesterday with the same high predicted for today. I can feel the heat, and as anyone who's been anywhere knows heat in one environment is different than heat in another. Declaring that 97° in Chiang Mai feels somehow different than in Miami, feels like telling you something you already know.

So let's get to the update.
Tommy & Keanne get a gig.

Good news for Keanne and Tommy; they both got hired to teach English at a school in a place called Lamphun that's forty (or so) minutes west of Chiang Mai by motorcycle. Keanne shared some pictures and the views are breathtaking. I may actually have to rent a bike and ride out there. Hope I don't get carried away. I haven't ridden any type of motorbike in thirty years.

I wonder if it's like riding a bike.

Now they will be able to stay in the area - the country for four years, as planned, (or at least that's what I remember hearing.)

Since it was so hot yesterday Keanne invited to Rendezvous Classic for a dip in the pool. Great relief, but Tommy was told friends weren't allowed in the pool. No biggie though. There are probably other pools around somewhere. I might have a look at that place if I want to move inside the mote... or maybe not, I kind of like it here at TL.

It's out of the way, there's a mall down the street, the "city" is a half hour walk, the airport is close by, and if I decide I want to be more adventurous, I can hop in a red truck, grab a jitnie, a Grab, a cab or, ahem, rent a bike.

An American Meal at "The Riva" just outside the Mote
Besides the weather, what is the revelation of the day; the moment?

I've been thinking about the difference between visiting a place and living in a place. Not living to the extent of putting down roots, making connections, or somehow contributing to the community - but then again, maybe that's what living somewhere is all about. Maybe I am just a visitor; a transient, a vagabond.

Well... my answer came before the question was even fully explored.

So the difference I'm imagining is not that of a visitor vs. a resident, but that of a visitor vs. a tourist.

As a visitor, I don't feel compelled to bounce all over the area taking in the sights and such. I'm not actively or overtly trying to take in the culture, although I am learning a few phrases here and there; I've learned to count to ten (sip) and I can say "good morning" and ask for the toilet, although most places I've been some sort of English is spoken and signs are visible. Because I'm here, the culture is all around me from street food to night markets to left side traffic to the rhythmic way of speaking the language.

This isn't to say that I'm not interested; just not in a rush.

I keep mentioning, as a reminder to myself that time is a luxury I have these days. It's kind of tough to keep this in mind, because it's never been like this since that summer, maybe my fourteenth, when I was too old for summer camp yet too young to work, had no money and spent most of my days on the steps listening to music and drawing. Maybe a movie here and there and a splash in the community pool on hotter days.

Today, after decades of steady work, holding down two or three jobs at a time, activities and responsibilities, the current feeling I'm trying to describe is somewhere between comfortable and uncomfortable. But what does that mean?

Because of the environment and the era I was raised in, along with the values and work ethic that became a part if my psyche, I feel something close to guilt. This type of "freedom" has been a remote fantasy to me for some time and now that it's reality, it's going to take some getting used to. Five months into it and it still doesn't feel right. This doesn't mean that it never will.

TL Residence... The Morning Reporter
And I wonder, with the state of the global economy the way "they" (the economic doom & gloomers) say it is, how sustainable is this lifestyle? At some point I may have to generate some sort income, even if I do maintain a modest standard of living.

These concerns come and go depending on how much time I have to think about them.

For future reference and as a kind of map for people who may wish to follow my advice and adventures, I've been composing a list of seven "laws" (guidelines) really to keep in mind. They've not (yet) been emblazoned into stone, but they seem to have worked for me. Here are the top three. They must be the most important, because they are the easiest to remember. At some point I will expand on what they mean and how to achieve them, but for now;

1. Follow your heart.
2. Stay healthy.
3. Maintain your personal sovereignty.

And on that note, breakfast ends, time for the morning workout and whatever else needs to get done today. 

Cheers.

No comments: