Friday, January 20, 2017

Blissfully Oblivious

I sat out by the pool catching some rays while America lost its mind. Of course, maybe not everyone lost their minds. Crazy or not Donald J. Trump, for better or worse - we shall eventually see - was inaugurated 45th President of the United States.

It's mean of me to be glib and outright laugh at this because so many people I know care deeply enough about this situation to go out and protest... and let all of us know that they are going to protest; and even cross several states on what must be a crowded bus to stand in a crowd of protestors... I have to give them credit for their passion. For whatever they think they are doing; what they are changing, or going to change... or just being heard.

And that's all I have to say on that note. As for me. I see the situation for what it is (okay, not really what it is but what I see it as), a show, a game, a manipulation - A Matrix. This concept might not work for everyone, but at the moment it's working for me. It allows me not to get bogged down with issues that don't immediately affect me, either positively or negatively.

Today I ventured out to the Indo-Pak store and I have to say I was someone disappointed. The lady at the counter was friendly. We had a nice conversation. I introduced her to BitCoin and there was no TV, but there was also no roti; no small restaurant or cafe inside as I'd hoped. I've been spoiled by Little Bangladesh in Los Angeles and the Pakistani spot in Upper Darby, which I didn't get to visit before I left. Nonetheless the store had the spices I was looking for, some expensive... but fresh and halal lamb and friendly service.

Right across the street was a kosher market. They were closing up... at 3:30PM! I figured it must be something Jewish... duh.. Friday - I didn't remember it was Friday at the time.

Instead of calling for a Lyft right then I decided to wander around North Miami Beach for a while. I found quite a few markets, including Lorenzo's Italian American farmers market. Whoa!! They had a lot of goodies. And right across the street was another Italian spot with shelves full of wine and impressive butcher shop and a cafe nestled inside as well.

I decided I'd walk as far as I could until I came upon this RK Center.... (they are all RK Centers it seems) where I spotted this tapas spot called B-Bar. It was empty (between the lunch and dinner crowds) and I almost thought it wasn't open. Nice place... the bartender was cool, welcoming and had a nice chat. I ordered mussels... some of the best I've had... and a beer... bottled... less than $20.00. I guess that's pretty good.

Anyway. Livin the life. Still not tired of it yet. I still have some work to do. There are still some BitCoin Conference clips to edit and post up. I kind of wanted to wait until the inauguration so the other clips I sew in will be more relevant.

I don't know why I don't offer to take portraits of the people I run into. I need to start doing that - at least offering.

Oh, great ride out to the place. Had a conversation in broken Spanish and broken English with my Lyft drive. He said my Spanish was good. "S" pretty much doesn't exist in a lot of words here. I told the guy I was a writer.... escribir but it sounded like he was pronouncing it ekribir. So I'm like a little kid who's just repeating the words and terms I hear every day until I get comfortable. I thought I might lose it when I left Florida, but I'll be traveling across the south... so Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California... Spanish might come in handy.

Adios Amigos...  

No comments: