Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Curious Alternative Media

The Curious Alternative Media

The year 2017 will long be noted, I think, as the year the alternative media, in particular, YouTube took... (perhaps stole) a significant market share and much of the narrative from the "legacy" "corporate" or "main stream" media.

The alt-right, as it's been called has been credited, or blamed for the election of Donald Trump.

I would tend to agree... but only about 50%. The balance of my personal observation is given to the corporate media's complete and obvious disregard for "balanced," "objective" and honest reporting.

My personal history of being disgruntled with the corporate media goes back to the turn of the twenty-first century. Maybe not 9/11 itself, but certainly there after. However, as an information junkie and recovering TV addict, I still watched... even though I knew they were full of shyt.

Over the seventeen years of this century the corporate media has cavalierly lied for and colluded with corporations and government to the point that at least three generations if Americans are not believing their hype. Apparently their ratings and ad revenues are reflecting this.

The other glaring reflection, or maybe reaction to corporate news media's failure is the rise of the "internet media," (to distinguish it from all alternative news sources), primarily by way of YouTube.

I believe that the internet media grew and became powerful by way of an information (I hesitate to call it "truth") vacuum. I'm not going to detail the complete history, because I'm not 100% sure, but it's a pretty good bet to say it dates back to 9/11.

The next big boost was likely the 2008 financial "collapse," and most recently 2016 (Brexit and US election cycle.)

I've been following the expansion of the internet media only since 2013/14, although I've had a channel since near the beginning. My first clip was uploaded in 2006, I believe. But enough personal history.

Between monetizing and the influence of the medium, the internet media is spiraling out of control before my eyes. A lot of shows (I subscribe to) have become, (probably always were, really) vehicles for selling products, (precious metals, books and survival gear) and (financial) services. A lot of them are also peddling a future of hope and/or fear. Essentially many are becoming just like the media they are complaining about.

I can't really blame them. There are no other viable media models to emulate.

Not to indict the entire YouTube'verse, some channels are more disciplined and professional than others. One of the great things about the internet media right now is that it's still (by and large) an open market. Channels and programs succeed and fail based on their value as perceived by their audience. (Recent manipulation not withstanding.) And even with the recent advertiser "boycott" channels that were valued by their viewers were able to make up the loss of income with funding platforms.

Unfortunately, and I've found this to be consistent with several types of "new" products, the most popular programs seem to follow the established media models and are, in my opinion, doomed to the "challenges" of success... that is, once they are successful they have something to lose; something that makes them vulnerable... the "success" itself. Which slowly compromises their integrity... which also threatens their success.

Disclaimer: Certainty there's no way I can adequately cover the entire internet media, however I'm kind of looking at trends and human nature and seeing some early patterns emerging. Just thought I'd toss my two-cents into the fountain and see if it floats.

No comments: